Ingredients:2 Cups finely chopped Onion divided
1 tbsp Sesame seeds (til)
1 tbsp Poppy seeds (khus khus)
Slits of 2 Garlic Cloves
2 tbsp roasted Peanut crush
Red Chili powder as per taste
Salt as per taste
2-3 tsp Garam Masala
Method:1. Wash the Eggplants. Take off the stems and cut into 4-6 vertical slits each.
2. Heat just a 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add 1 Cup onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Now add sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic slits and coconut and saute again. We want to get the roasted flavor of these ingredients. Mean while you can microwave the eggplant slits and half cook them.
3. Now grind all these in a grinder. Add just enough water and make a paste.
4. In a same pan heat the remaining oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and when they sizzle add remaining onion to it. Saute again till it turns translucent.
5. Now add the paste from the step 2 and the masalas. Saute till the oil separates out from them. Stir occasionally.
6. Add about 2 Cups of water, salt,sugar, peanut crush and eggplant slits. Cook till everything blends and the eggplant cooks well
- If dry coconut is not available you can also use the fresh grated coconut.
- I have a masala called as Kanda Lasun masala which I use instead of regular Garam Masala. This Kanda Lasun masala is unique to Maharashtra so I guess many would not be aware of it.
- Try having curd in your meal along with this sabzi. Curd goes very well with this sabzi.
Sending to Dish out-Brinjal & Garlic guest hosted by Sangee,event by Vardhini..