Ingredients:1 cup chickpeas (Garbanzo beans / kabuli chana / pindi chana)
2 small Onion
1 Medium size Tomato
2-3 Garlic cloves
A small Ginger piece
2 tsp shredded Dry Coconut
1 Whole Pepper
1/2" Cinnamon Stick
2 tsp Sesame seeds (til)
Red Chili powder to taste
2 tsp Chole Masala (If not available, add Garam Masala )
Salt as per taste
Oil, Mustard seeds, Cumin Seeds, Asafoetida (hing) for seasoning
Chopped fresh Coriander for garnishing
Method:1. Soak Chana overnight and pressure cook till done.
2. Make puree of all the ingredients listed and keep aside.
3. Grind all the ingredients under "masala" and make a fine powder, keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, when they splutter add cumin seeds, asafoetida, hing and quickly add the puree. Saute for 3 minutes.
5. Now add the masala powder, salt, red chili powder, chana masala as per taste and saute till oil separates out.
6. Add boiled chickpeas and water as per requirement. Cook till all things blend. Mash some chikpeas and add to the gravy. This gives better consistency.
7. Garnish with coriander before serving.
- Garnish with chopped onion before serving.
- You can also add potato to them.
- Mash some chickpeas and add to the gravy. This gives better consistency.