Sprouted beans are every body's favorite. Here in US we don't get ready made sprouted moth beans (matki). We make sprouts at home. It takes about 2-3 days. For this you need to soak beans overnight and the 2nd day transfer this to sprout maker. (If you don't have sprout maker tie this soaked beans in a wet cloth). Check after 1-2 days and you will find the sprouts.
Matki chi usal, misal, bhel are popular maharastrian dishes. At home we make all of these and also a little watery sabzi of matki.
Ingredients: Serves: 4
1 1/2 cup sprouted matki
1 tbsp grated fresh coconut
1/2 cup tomatoes cut into pieces
1/2 cup potato cubes
1/2 cup fresh peas
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
Red chili powder, Dhaniyajeera powder, Salt as per taste
Oil, mustard seeds, asafoetida (hing), cumin seeds for seasoning
4-5 Curry leaves
Few drops of lemon juice (optional)
Coriander for garnishing (optional)
1. Heat oil in a skillet and add ingredients for seasoning.
2. Immediately add curry leaves and chopped onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Then add tomato and potato pieces and saute till onion turns little brown. Now add peas and coconut and saute again.
4. Add all the powders and mix well till oil separates from the mixture.
5. Now add matki sprouts and saute well so that all the masala gets evenly applied to matki.Also add few lemon drops.
5. Now add water to cook matki and salt as per taste. Let matki cook for 10 - 12 minutes. Add more water if required. This curry is semi liquid in consistency.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Tastes good even with plain rice. Also if you are a yogurt fan add it to the rice, add matki curry and enjoy the taste.